Saturday, August 21, 2010

Is it okay not to have a period while on birth control?

I've been seeing commercials for birth control that allows you to have 3 periods a year. I am currently on NuvaRing, which allows me to have my normal menstruation every month. I guess my question is, is it safe to only have 3 periods a year? I heard rumors that it caused several women to have blood clots, worse than normal contraceptives.Is it okay not to have a period while on birth control?
Those are just rumors. I had a talk with my gynecologist about this the other day, and she and all her colleagues agree that periods are completely unnecessary, you don't need them, and nothing bad can happen if you only have a few a year. I definitely only get my period three-four times a year (I never take a break with the pill) and i've been doing it for 6 years, and i'm fine! In fact, it makes the contraception more safe, because everytime you take a break from the pill, it causes the protection to slowly disappear, and then you have to build it up again by taking the next packet. If you never take period breaks, it's okay to forget the now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment